I've been reading some of the posts lately here and other places about the Denyse Schmidt book, and whether it should be used as inspiration or in a more literal fashion with patterns and such. To be honest, it never occured to me that there are patterns in the book. I have it, and as I thumb through it, I get about a million ideas that relate to other projects that I am working on or planning for the future. It reminds me of when I worked as a graphic designer, and how I would read through a million resources for each project, not really trying to lift someone else's idea, but hoping that something someone had done would inspire me to see my subject and materials in a new light. In that spirit I am posting this project I just completed that was inspired by the "dis-cards" section of Denyse's book, but isn't a card, and isn't carried out in the exact same way.
I have been wanting to do a tackboard (or two-- or three) a la Martha Stewart for years, and bought the materials a month or so ago, but was perplexed about what to cover it with. I didn't want to spend ten thousand dollars on beautiful ribbons as Martha is known to do, and didn't really want a big solid fabric either. Because I have lots of the board material (it is sold in 4' x 8' sheets), I decided to make my first tackboard with fabric I had on hand, specifically some colored burlap that I have loads of from a curtain and pillow project a few years ago.
At first I planned on sewing it to muslin with the raw edges exposed as in the "dis-cards" project, but after cutting the burlap realized it frayed quite a lot, so decided to piece it the standard way with right sides together. Then I stitched back and forth to my heart's content (while watching the new show Big Love). It was a very freeing experience for someone who is usually a little more controlled when creating. I really felt there was no mistake to be made, that the white lines I was stitching were meant to look all wonky, so that was quite fun.
I then set out to create some nice tacks. I started with shrinky-dinks like Hillary from Wee Wonderfuls used for these wonderful pins, but well, they shrunk, too much to cover the head of the tack. I was then inspired by the fabulous idea that Leisl at dis-dressed had when she used the pictures for the Hancock's of Paducah catalog for magnets...brilliant. I went to the craft store, bought a circle cutter and wood circles and I was in business. I am quite happy with the result. The touch of whimsy they provide keeps the tackboard from heading in the "bad 1970's soft sculpture wall hanging" direction.
I am not sure I LOVE the finished tackboard (I do love the tacks though!), but I figure it will soon be plastered over with a million photos, cards and such, and it was SO much fun to make!
Here's hoping you can take Denyse's idea, add in a little of mine, throw in a few other craft blogger's into the mix and come up with something entirely you.
To see all the photos, look here.